I first mentioned the Nebula Award Weekend in my Dec. 3, 2005, post. At that time, the nominees had yet to be named. Well, the final ballot was announced on Feb. 24, 2006, by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.
And the Nominees Are (my two bits are in italics):
- Air by Geoff Ryman (St. Martin’s Press, Sep04)
- Camouflage by Joe Haldeman (Analog, Mar-May 04, also Ace book Aug 2004)
- Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (HarperCollins, Oct04)
I’m a big fan of Pratchett’s work, but I’m about 2 books behind now; haven’t read this yet, but I bet its funny!
- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (Bloomsbury, Sep04)
- Polaris by Jack McDevitt (Ace, Nov04)
- Orphans of Chaos by John C. Wright (Tor, Nov05)
- “Clay’s Pride” by Bud Sparhawk (Analog, Jul/Aug04)
I got to hear Sparhawk talk at Capclave 2005 — interesting, thoughtful man
- “Identity Theft” by Robert J. Sawyer (Down These Dark Spaceways, Mike Resnick, Ed., Science Fiction Book Club, May05)
- “Left of the Dial” by Paul Witcover (SCI FICTION, Sep04)
It’s so sad that Sci Fiction is now defunct. It had such good stuff!
- “Magic for Beginners” by Kelly Link (Magic for Beginners, Small Beer Press, Jul05, also F&SF, Sep05)
- “The Tribes of Bela” by Albert Cowdrey (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Aug04)
- “The Faery Handbag” by Kelly Link (The Faery Reel: Tales From the Twilight Realm, Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, Ed., Viking Press, Aug04)
- “Flat Diane” by Daniel Abraham (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, OctNov04)
- “Men Are Trouble” by Jim Kelly (Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine, Jun04)
- “Nirvana High” by Eileen Gunn and Leslie What (Stable Strategies and Others, Tachyon Press, Sep04)
- “The People of Sand and Slag” by Paolo Bacigalupi (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Feb04)
- “Born-Again” by K.D. Wentworth (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, May05)
- “The End of the World as We Know It” by Dale Bailey (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Oct/Nov04)
- “I Live With You” by Carol Emshwiller (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Mar05)
- “My Mother, Dancing” by Nancy Kress (Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine, Jun04)
I love Kress’s nonficition — I read her column in Writer’s Digest religiously)
- “Singing My Sister Down” by Margo Lanagan (Black Juice, Eos, Mar05)
- “Still Life With Boobs” by Anne Harris (Talebones, Summer05)
- “There’s a Hole in the City” by Richard Bowes (SCI FICTION, Jun05)
- “Act of Contrition”/”You Can’t Go Home Again” by Carla Robinson, Bradley Thompson and David Weddle (Battlestar Galactica; Jan. 28, ’05 / Feb. 4, ’05 [two part episode])
- Serenity by Joss Whedon (Universal Pictures, Sep05)
Aaron from SciFi Dig has got to be happy about this one! You faithful brown coat, you!
Andre Norton Award:
- The Amethyst Road by Louise Spiegler(Clarion Books, Sep05)
- Siberia by Ann Halam (Wendy Lamb Books, Jun05)
- Stormwitch by Susan Vaught (Bloomsbury, Jan05)
- Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie by Holly Black (Simon & Schuster, Jun05)
In case you didn’t know — I didn’t until I wrote this — the Andre Norton Award recognizes outstanding science fiction and fantasy novels that are written for the young adult market.
Would you like to be there when they announce the winners? If you can make it out to Tempe — this will probably be a very interesting event.
WHAT: 2006 Nebular Awards Weekend
WHERE: Tempe Mission Palms Hotel, Tempe, Ariz.
WHEN: May 4-7, 2006, starting at 6pm on Thursday
For more information: sfwa.org/awards/2006