In this week’s episode, I chat with author and artist Mike McPhail about the Defending the Future anthology series, his cover art, role playing game design, military science fiction, evolving into publishing, publishing ebooks on your own vs. with a small press, and more.
Mentioned in this Episode:
This fictional character is the hero of military science fiction books set in the “Honorverse” written by David Weber and published by Baen Books. She and her story lines bear a striking resemblance to real people and political situations, although the Honorverse takes place on another planet. Weber also writes alternate history, in addition to epic fantasy and space opera.
Each edition of the Defending the Future series includes advertisements for military related charities such as the USO (United Service Organization) and the Wounded Warrior Project.
Dark Quest Books
A small publisher of science fiction, fantasy and horror books and ebooks, as well as role playing games. Four of the people associated with this publisher have been guests on my podcast (not with my intent, it just happened that way): Mike McPhail, Danielle Ackley-McPhail, Alma Alexander and Jennifer Brozek. Authors they’ve published who have been guests on the podcast include Bud Sparhawk, Jean Marie Ward (coming Jan. 9), C.J. Henderson and Misty Massey.
For more information about Mike McPhail:
- Podcast Episode 61: One Bad Ass Genre Writer with guest Danielle Ackley-McPhail (Mike’s wife)
- Podcast Episode 51: Focusing on Shorter Fiction with guest Bud Sparhawk (published in Mike’s anthology)
- Podcast Episode 52: Hard Boiled Speculative Fiction with guest C.J. Henderson (published in Mike’s anthology)
- Nancy Jane Moore, who is in No Man’s Land, will be my podcast guest on Feb. 13!
- Podcast Episode 49: Going with the Marketing Flow (the podcast I referred to in which a role playing game is being marketed by novels)
- Podcast Episode 42: The Effect of Ebooks on Literature (the podcast I referred to in which we discussed becoming a muli-modality producer of content)