Last Thursday and Friday, I attended the New Communications Forum in Las Vegas for my day job. My husband, a big fan of Las Vegas, stayed at the Venetian with me. I didn’t have much time to explore — I really, really wanted to go have a drink at Quark’s Bar in the Las Vegas Hilton, but I didn’t make it.
So why am I telling you this? Several reasons:
1) I learned a lot about social media that I’d like to apply to The Genre Traveler. It helped me focus some of my ideas for improvements I want to make this year.
2) The Venetian is a nice place to stay for those who want an Italian fantasy vacation. However, be aware that the hotel has a very confusing layout and it is easy to get lost. When you’re on the 3rd floor of the parking garage, you’re on the 2nd floor of the hotel. The hotel is built in a Y shape, so be sure to take the correct elevators and the correct hallways. Also, be prepared to do a lot of walking — the place is huge!
3) Tip: Because we arrived late, they only had “smoking optional” rooms. I’m allergic to cigarette smoke, so they put us in a larger suite “for the inconveinence” at no charge. That’s a picture of our “living room.” We even had a fax machine!
4) If you do stay at the Venetian, I recommend eating at the Mexican restaurant Taqueria CaÃƒÂ±onita. The food was very good and we got to sit “outside” and watch the gondolas pass by. There are quite a few good singers navigating those boats. I also recomend the Mango Margarita — you can taste the fresh mango.
5) On the way home, I saw a sign for “Alien Fresh Jerky” pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It piqued my curiosity, so I looked it up on the web and found more information: alienfreshjerky.com. Turns out they started out on the “Extraterrestial Highway” in New Mexico and now have a shop in Baker, Calif.